Peter Anyang’ Nyong’O
Ministry of Medical Services
B.A., Political Science and Philosophy (First Class Honors), Makerere University, Kampala, 1971
M.A., Political Science, University of Chicago, 1974
Ph.D., Political Science, University of Chicago, 1977
Minister for Medical Services
P.O. Box 30016-00100
- Minister for Medical Services, Government of Kenya (2008 to date)
- Secretary General, Orange Democratic Party (ODM)
- Member of Parliament, Kisumu Rural Constituency
- Member, Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA) of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations Organization
- Member, Board of Directors of the Nelson Mandela Institution for Science, Technology and the Advancement of Knowledge in Africa
- Director, African Research and Resource Forum (ARRF), Nairobi, Kenya.
- Fellow of the African Academy of Sciences
- Member, Board of Directors of the African Monitor
- President, Makerere Students Guild, 1969/70
- Special Lecturer, University of Nairobi, Department of Government, 1971
- Rockefeller Fellow, Universities of Nairobi and Chicago, 1971-1977.
- Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, Political Science and Political Economy, University of Nairobi, 1977-82.
- Associate Research Professor, Center for African and Asian Studies, El Colegio de Mexico, Mexico D.F., 1981-84.
- First Officer (P4), Department of Special Political Affairs, Office of the Under-Secretary General for Special Political Affairs, UNO, Dec. 2003-June 2004.
- Associate Professor, College of Social Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 1984-86.
- Research Professor, East and Southern Africa Management Institute (ESAMI), Arusha, Tanzania, June 1986-July 1987,
- Head of Programs, African Academy of Sciences, 1987-1992.
- Member of Parliament, 1993-present.
- Minister for Planning and National Development, Kenya, 2003-2005.
- German-African Award for contribution to scholarship and democratization, 1995.
- Africa Brain Gain Award, by Kenyan American Professional Association and Career Nation, 2005.
- Fellowship of the African Academy of Sciences, 1989.
Articles in Journals
- “The Civil Servant in Uganda,” East African Journal, (April 1971).
- “The Agrarian Question in Kenya”, guest editor and contributor, Review of African Political Economy No. 20, 1981.
- “An African Perspective on Peace and Development in Africa”, International Social Science Journal,(UNESCO: Paris, 1986).
- “Military Intervention in African Politics”, Third World Affairs, (London: Third World Foundation,1986).
- “Democracy and Political Stability in Africa,” Africa Development ,XII,1986
- “Political Stability and the Prospects for Development in Africa,” Africa development, XIII, 1988
- “Crises and Conflicts in the Horn of Africa,” Geneve-Afrique, Vol. XXVII, No.2, 1989
- “State and Society in Kenya: The Disintegration of the Nationalist Coalitions and the Rise of Presidential Authoritarianism, 1963-78,” African Affairs, Vol. 88 (1989).
- “Africa: The Failure of One-Party Rule,” Journal of Democracy Vol. 3, No. 1 (January 1992).
- “Comprehensive Solutions to Refugee Problems in Africa: Bilateral, Regional and Multilateral Approaches,” International Journal of Refugee Law (Special Issue), 1995.
- “Governance, Security and Conflict Resolution in Africa,” Diogenes, No.184, Vol. 46/4, 1998.
- “Parliaments, Parliamentary Democracy and Building Democracy in Africa,” United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Special Consultative Paper (Addis Ababa, 2000).
Chapters in Books
- “South Africa and Israel as Settler Regimes,” in I. Abu Lughod (ed.) Settler regimes in Africa and the Arab World: the Illusion of Endurance (The Medina University Press International, 1975).
- “The Possibilities and Historical Limits of Import Substitution Industrialization in Kenya,” in P. Coughlin and G. Ikiara (eds.), Industrialization in Kenya: In Search for a Strategy (Nairobi: Heinemann, 1985).
- “The Military and Counterrevolution in Liberia: 1980-85,” in P. Anyang’ Nyong’o (ed.) Popular Struggles for Democracy in Africa, (London: Zed Books, 1987).
- “Alliances Populaires, militaries et counter-revolution au Liberia, de 1980 a 1985,” dans
- P. Anyang’ Nyong’o (dir.), Afrique: La Longue Marche vers la Democratie, ( Paris: Editions Published, 1988).
- “Regional Integration in Africa” in P. Anyang’ Nyong’o (ed.) Regional Integration: An Unfinished Agenda, (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 1990).
- “The One-Party State and Its Apologists,” in P. Anyang’ Nyong’o (ed.) Thirty Years of Independence in Africa: The Lost Decades? (Nairobi: Academy science Publishers, 1992.
- “Regional Integration, Security and Development in Africa,” in Olusegun Obasanjo and Felix Mosha (eds.) Africa: Rise to Challenge, (Lagos: Africa Leadership Forum, 1992).
- La participation popular y el desafio de la autosuficiencia en Africa, in Celma Ahuero Dona (ed.) Africa: Inventando el Futuro (Mexico: El Colegio de Mexico, 1992).
- “Privatization in Africa: the Kenyan Experience in a Comparative Perspective,” in P. Anyang’ Nyong’o (ed.) The Context of Privatization in Kenya (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 2000).
- “Issues and Problems in the Implementation of Privatization,” in Anyang’ Nyong’o (ed.), ibid.
- “Challenges for Transitional Politics in Kenya,” in A. Ghirmaizon (ed.) In Quest for a Culture of Peace in the IGAD Region (Nairobi: Heinrich Boll Foundation, 2006).
- Popular Struggles for Democracy in Africa (ed.) (London: Zed Books, 1987).
- Afrique: La Longue Marche Vers la Democratie (Paris: Editions Publisud, 1988).
- Economic Integration in Africa: An Unfinished Agenda (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 1989).
- La Politica Africana y la Crisis del Desarrollo (Mexico: El Colegio de Mexico, 1988).
- Estado y Sociedad en el Africa Actual Mexico: El Colegio de Mexico, 1988).
- Industrialization at Bay: African Experiences (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 1990).
- Thirty years of Independence in Africa: The Lost Decades (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 1992)
- Arms and Daggers in the Heart of Africa: Studies on Internal Conflicts (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 1993)
- The Context of Privatization in Kenya (Nairobi: Academy Science Publishers, 2000).
- The Study of African Politics: A Critical Appreciation of an Intellectual Heritage (Nairobi: Heinrich Ball, 2002).
- (With A. Ghirmazion and D. Lamba) NEPAD: A New Path? (Nairobi: Heinrich Boll Foundation, 2006).
- (With Michael Chege)Winning the Peace and Starting (Re)construction in Southern Sudan (Nairobi: ARRF Conference Series No. 3, 2004).
- The Political Economy of Corruption in Kenya (Nairobi: ARRF, 2006).
- A Leap into the Future: A Vision for Kenya’s Socio-Economic Transformation (Nairobi: ARRF Press, 2007).